Monday, October 10, 2005

Definitive tv shows, movies, books

To echo neva's list:

Here are the TV shows, movies, music albums and books that are to be blamed for who I am:
  • Wonder Woman (Linda Carter of course. And she always beat Knight Rider on those Wednesday night scrambles with my brother for control of the television. It is only proper that I start with this. :) )
  • The Wonder Years (An episode is never complete without a short speal on memory at the end.)
  • Ben Okri's, The Famished Road (Made me realize I wanted to sing/spin words. Even if (and especially) if they didn't make sense. To be able to say it in a sentence must be (must be) enough reason it CAN be said (and MUST be)).
  • Nancy Drew and the Bobsey Twins (I knew I'd spend a lifetime spending my guts on books.)
  • Margaret Atwood's "Death by Landscape" ( What's missing, what shapes us. An endless fascination with what was not there, but THERE. You know? You know. Whatever.)
  • Adrienne Rich's The Fact of a Doorframe. (She made being a woman, not only wonderfully complex, but also POWERFUL. Now, since I'm no woman.....)
  • The movie version of the broadway play Chorus Line. (Nuff said.)
  • Paul Auster's The Invention of Solitude (The height of father issues. Love love love this rambling book!)
  • Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink. (Piano! Piano! Piano! And my short-lived career as a silver medalist in piano.)

Of course it goes without saying that my cabinets were filled with He-Man figures (Men-at-arms was... hot), that I loved Super Mario brothers (and I used to go to my neighbor's house in the afternoon to play. Even when he was asleep, and I would order his maid to prepare merienda for me. Kapal. ), that I would forever remember high school to the background music of Lisa Loeb, and that somewhere in the middle of all of this I would discover that I enjoyed talking to people, and asking them the strangest (most intimate) questions.

It is continually a surprise to realize that one survives the contradictions of one's time.

1 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

All I can say is, "YES."

Or as Gluck would say, you are a singing whole.

Hay, Larry, I really miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home