Friday, October 14, 2005

two movies

Watched two more new movies the past few days and I think I must be meeting my yearly quota of films in the past two weeks: Life Aquatic and Crash. The first one reminded me of a picture storybook: for ages 3-6, with some parts scratch-and-sniff and the others pop-up and color-coded. Needless to say, I loved watching (and listening) to it. Music was great. David Bowie translated to Portuguese was a nice surprise. Even the story itself was... wanting. Or maybe it was because I had spent the whole day out of the house trying to: check, not eat too much in Heaven n' Eggs, smoke less, and look for Christmas gifts (already), and keep myself from buying things for myself.

Crash was also great. This was more my type of movie. Pa-social message. Pa-shift in shift out from one life to the next. Almost like a collection of short stories, that's really a film, that's really a novel. Something like House on Mango Street, or one of Anne Beattie's books, or Things you can tell just by looking at her. These mini-crossovers of different lives always always get me. I was in tears.... I think four times during the whole film. haha It was a bit too clean although I didn't mind it at all. I like it when events take the cleaner safer form of their plots: makes you think you could actually achieve the same sense of wholeness in your own days.

Not.

3 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger fanboy420 said...

You're one of the few people I know who reads the same way he speaks. I mean, your written voice is the same as your spoken voice. Labo ba? Hahahaha!

In any case, Life Aquatic is one of my favorite movies of all time. Wes Anderson has a way of making characters who are intentionally flat seem so three-dimensional. And Portugese Bowie Rocks!

-Waps

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger slowmotion said...

maybe I speak the way I write? Or talk the way I read? Or dance the way I walk? hehe

yes, portuguese bowie rocks!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Angelie said...

larry, kaw ba toh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home