Thursday, February 02, 2006

movies!

Despite everyone going gaga over Brokeback Mountain, I actually think it was just an ok movie. Yes, I cried. Yes, I watched it at 2 am and lost sleep and looked like shit the day after for it. And yes, I couldn't help but talk about the day after. But I don't think it deserves an oscar. Certainly, the world should celebrate the purported mainstreaming of movies like these (meaning, in this case, gay movies), but I think if all this means is the depiction of the homosexual experience through heterosexual eyes (I's), then nothing much has been achieved really. The camera in brokeback couldn't almost bear to watch the two main actors making love. The sharpest pain came from the pain of the wives of the husbands. All it resorted to were these beautiful landscape shots which were, yes, certainly great, but which I feel were indicative of not only a romanticized view of gay-love, but an almost anxious reaction to it. As if forced against the wall, all it could look at were the grass, the mountains: a touching evasion of the unweildy, terrifying truth of homosexuality.

I think, in fact, the real gay movie of the year is CAPOTE. I've watched it already in almost three episodes now: each in 20-minute parts, and I don't think I want this movie to end. I want to extend it as long as I can. All hail to interruptions!

2 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Blogger fabian said...

only your criticisms i can bear! how was walk the line.

sige, read my entry naman. my speaking in tongues fanatical entry. ;)

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger anjeline said...

miss you larry! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home